This week Channing and I helped kick off Disney’s Magic of Storytelling campaign, an ongoing initiative aimed at inspiring imagination and a lifelong love of reading. We went to a special event at our local Disney store to join Elena of Avalor in reading our favorite books!
While we were there I got to interview a member of the Royal Guard. Jorge Diaz voices the character of “Gabe” on Elena of Avalor and shared with me what it’s like to be a part of such a ground breaking animated series. He also talked about how his own life was inspired by books his mother read to him as a child.
Books are so important to fostering the imagination and learning about new ideas and cultures. I can’t wait until Chan starts reading on her own. I think she’s going to be reading EVERYTHING. Do you have a kid who’s really into books? I think I have one, she just doesn’t know it yet.
“We are so proud to have donated more than 57 million books through our long-standing collaboration with Disney,” said Kyle Zimmer, president and CEO of First Book. “Each year, the excitement around the Magic of Storytelling campaign grows, inspiring millions of individuals to help us bring much-needed new books to children in need.”
Here’s how you can participate in Disney’s Magic of Storytelling campaign:
- One for One Book Donation: Disney will donate one book to First Book for every eligible Disney book purchased at a Disney Store or participating retailer during that store’s participation window. (A list of eligible Disney books and participating retailers are available at magicofstorytelling.com.)
- Share a Shelfie: Disney will also give one book for every “shelfie” — a selfie photo with a favorite book or in front of a bookshelf — shared on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #MagicOfStorytelling.
- Disney Story Central: Users of Disney’s digital reading platform can download digital books designed for parents and children to read together. Disney will donate one book to First Book for every book read in the app.
- Magic of Storytelling Sweepstakes: Consumers can enter to win a library of 400 Disney books for their school and a personal library for their home in the Magic of Storytelling Sweepstakes. For every sweepstakes entry, Disney will donate one book to First Book. To enter the sweepstakes and for more rules and information, visit magicofstorytelling.com.
- In-Store Events: Celebrate Disney Reads Day on February 4 at Disney Store, Barnes & Noble, and participating retailer locations nationwide. Families and fans can enjoy free family-friendly events like story time, coloring and activity sheets, and themed “shelfie” stations. A full list of participating Disney Store and retailer locations is available at magicofstorytelling.com.
The program kicked off this month with a PSA narrated by Emma Watson, star of The Walt Disney Studios’ upcoming film “Beauty and the Beast,” coming to theaters on March 17.